I’ve decided it make an ideal addition to smoothies.
Trick is to soak it in a bowl of filtered water in the fridge over night. The next morning the soaking water will have a syrupy consistency and may look a little…odd. Not to worry – just pour it into a fine wire sieve and rinse the buckwheat well with fresh water.
Blend a 1/4 of a cup of pre-soaked raw buckwheat groats in with your favourite smoothie recipe. You may need to add a little more fluid than normal…
The taste? Well… It doesn’t really taste like much at all. Why put it in there then? Because the addition of buckwheat does THIS to your smoothie:
- Boosts flavonoid content – including RUTIN & QUERCETIN which extend action of vitamin C and work as anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories. Both are FABULOUS for fighting allergies.
- May lower your risk of developing high cholesterol and high blood pressure – Studies of buckwheat-containing diets have consistently pointed to this trend.
- Provides amazing levels of magnesium. Your other typical smoothie ingredients won’t do this.
- Gives you an amazing protein source – containing of ALL eight essential amino acids. Forget the powdered, processed protein powders… just use buckwheat. It’s cheaper and pure.
Mango, Passionfruit & Raspberry Smoothie with Buckwheat
- 1 large frozen mango cheek
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- pulp of 1 fresh passionfruit
- 1/4 cup of raw buckwheat groats that have been soaked in water overnight & then rinsed
- 1 cup almond milk/coconut milk/other milk
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
- 1 teaspoon probiotics (optional)
- 1/4 cup kefir (optional)
- Bee pollen… to serve (optional)
Place all ingredients into blender. Pulse on highest mode until smooth. Our half into tall glass and top with a small scattering of bee pollen. Pour other half of mix into a mason jar and store in fridge for later in the day/someone else!
What is Bee Pollen????
This stuff is gold. It is also nearly as expensive as gold… around $110 per kilogram :O
Luckily – you only need a little bit to impress – it looks so pretty on top of a smoothie.
It’s not just a pretty face. Bee pollen has been found effective for treatment of allergies, menopausal symptoms, helpful for energy enhancement and aids in antioxidant support. It also contains enzymes that can assist with digestion!